Skip to main content

How Embarrassing!

You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands.  (Psalm 119:4-6)

          To play off of what I wrote yesterday about the blessing of opening doors the way they open, today’s passage is the way life tends to go, at least for some of us. We walk up to the door and push or pull, and nothing happens. We try again. We peer along the gap between the door and door frame, trying to see if the door is locked, and look all around, including at the store hours, wondering why the door won’t open. We try again before we finally see the instructions under the hours, or near the handle saying to do what we haven’t done and work with the laws of physics, pulling or pushing in the direction that will open the door. All the while, we are hoping that no one has seen us, but as nature would have it, we’re pretty sure that we’ve made it all the more obvious because our face has turned red. Oh, that our ways were steadfast in opening doors the way they’re designed to be opened. It might only be a mistake on our part, but when things don’t work and we discover we’re the ones who were wrong, or foolish, or whatever, it’s embarrassing (at least.)

          If we shift once again to the realm of morality, it’s nearly the same story. We try to be good. Then something comes along we start tugging when we should be pushing, taking when we should be giving. We look for all the reasons it’s the “door’s” fault. Only instead of blushing and doing it right when we notice the instructions, try harder to open the door our way. We grow angry, or fearful, or resentful at the door. We demand that God and everyone else make the door open the way we want. Or, we repent and move on. And when the next door, or the tenth door, doesn’t open, we may find ourselves echoing the psalmist. “Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying the decrees written on the door! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all the doors in my life.”

          And we will do no more than mention the doors that open left-handed versus right-handed, or the stores that want to force us to be British and travel in the “left lane” to enter and exit. The point is that when we try to do things the wrong way or insist that they be done our way, we can have no peace and no blessing. If we allow ourselves to continue down that path, it should not surprise us when our difficulties increase.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Gal 6:10)   “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.   By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)           Joshua grinned when he saw Rex standing by the door, studying something on the ground. "Hey, man! Are we ready to do this thing?"          Rex looked up. "Josh, I can't do it. We're still best buds, but I can't stand your fiancée."           I've met "Rex" many times. I've been Rex. Joshua (Jesus) loves the Church. He's not a fool. He knows the Church is far from perfect, but she is His chosen bride. The Rexes of this world, who think themselves His friend, turn away from her. "You don't need the Church to...

Ssssssubmmissssssionnn

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ . (Ephesians 5:21)             "Ssssssubmmisssssssionnn." Can't you just hear the serpent hissing this most horrible of words? If you listen to the serpent or the world, submission means groveling, allowing yourself to be abused, denying yourself your own humanity. Nothing could be worse than submission, could it?             Submission has never been a problem for me, as long as things are going the way I want them to. The rest of the time? Well, let's just say that while I don't know how to fight physically, I don't know how to not fight mentally. One of the fights I've been having with myself for years is about submission.             My first breakthrough took place on a trip to a bookstore. As I walked into the store, my thoughts were very clear. 1) I was goi...

Shark Fins, Triple Dog Dares, Heroes, Villains and Sidekicks

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)            There's a scene in Jaws in which someone sees a shark fin and starts a panic. As   all the swimmers scramble to shore, boats surround the fin, which falls over to reveal two kids. With several guns pointed at them, one of the kids points at the other. The message is clear: it was his idea. In Christmas Story, there's a scene in which one kid "triple dog dares" another to do something stupid. Since it's a triple dog dare, well, what choice does the boy have? There doesn't seem to be any end to the trouble that peer pressure can cause. ...