Skip to main content

Closest

             Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:8) 

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. (Psalm 145:18)

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. (Psalm 139:7-10) 

When Jacob awoke from his sleep, he thought, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I was not aware of it.” (Genesis 28:16)

 

When and where do you feel close, or closest, to God? How do you feel at these times? These questions summarize the exercise for today. It’s suggested that we should keep a journal so that we can note what we notice quickly. But I know myself. I have to work today, and I have chores to do, and until that’s all done, I’m focused on “This” and “Next!” and just about everything but God. That’s not to say that God won’t be near. Scripture makes it clear that God is omnipresent. We can’t escape Him. It’s just that my awareness will be on the petty gods that demand my attention with their presence or their charges of negligence because I’m not performing well enough.

The directions go so far as to suggest I should do this for a week, but there have been sufficient experiences in the past to give me a good clue about the answer. I feel nearest to God when I wake in the morning or before I fall asleep, when I take a moment before getting out of bed, or before falling asleep, to talk to God.

I feel nearest to God when God interrupts my busyness with something beautiful or otherwise attention-grabbing. There were a number of times he gave me the moon – while I was in the house – because it reflected in the rear window of my car so that I could see it out the back window. Another example is when I am listening to good worship music. Or reading some particularly good description or passage.

I feel nearest to God when I’m alone, or as alone as I can get. I usually have the dog, and/or my camera, and whatever noise that’s going on in my head, but all the other petty gods can’t distract me as easily.

I feel nearest to God when I’m dealing with ideas or when I am, so to speak, in the zone. This is a tough one. It doesn’t always happen, because my attention may also be focused on the activity or thing.

Sometimes, I feel close to God when I’m picking up litter, or when I find myself thinking about how far down the social ladder I’ve slid. Jesus was willing to wash feet – a low-level slave’s job. I pick up other people’s trash. Sometimes, I feel closer to God in doing it. When I am in the “closest to God” situation, I tend to feel more relaxed, more free to question or explore, and not judged and found wanting.

 

Something that, oddly enough, makes me feel less close to God is the Bible, the sermon, the inspirational, and the evangelical. The reason for this is that I tend myself focusing on definitions, words, and the fact that I’ve read or heard them all before or I find myself focusing on myself, and my successes and failures about the ideas presented.

Switching from me to you – when do you feel closest to God, and what does it feel like?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t