Skip to main content

Everlasting

             Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.  (Psalm 90:2)

 

It would be easy to write a piece exploring the idea of an everlasting God as a thought experiment. In fact, I did, and deleted it. As a thought experiment, it doesn’t matter much to either of us if God actually exists. Even the possibility is kept at a reasonably comfortable distance by the label attached: a thought experiment. Thoughts aren’t real. They’re just what happens when biochemical reactions take place in our heads. So it’s all safe even if it’s not all good.

But what does it mean to us? What does it do to us? What does the existence of a being that brought forth the world, who existed before that, and will continue to exist even if the universe is destroyed mean in our lives? Does it really mean anything? I think it’s clear that it meant something to David. And while there are still far too many people who have this foolish notion that people who lived back in David’s day were stupid (or stooooopid,) there is growing archeological evidence that they weren’t.

So, if we put aside the temporally-arrogant presumption of ancient idiocy, why would David have waxed eloquent in his praise of God’s eternality? Looking at the rest of the passage, it looks like David is being selfish. He is praising God for his eternality because God has been in covenant with Israel for a long time, and God has protected Israel. It makes sense that as long as Israel remains in covenant with God, God will continue to protect it. In a way, then, David is saying that God has lasted this long without being dethroned, and therefore isn’t likely to be dethroned. That means we should praise Him because it will keep him on our side.

We do some of the same things. We’re right there with Him when we have needs, but when we don’t – well, the “with Him” part tends to slide. But go back to the concept. Why do you and I need God to be a forever sort of god, and not one who goes away, fades away, or is kicked off the throne? One possibility goes back to the definition of joy. It is the conviction or settled belief that we are cared for by someone who is capable of caring. Another way of saying it is that it is the conviction that we are loved, even if we feel unloveable.

Other people fall short in this regard, but because God has been around forever and will be around forever, and no one has managed to kick Him out of heaven, He is the only consistent foundation for joy – not for getting our way, but for building the conviction that we are loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t