Skip to main content

Knowing...

             so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:17-19)

 

First, a translational note. The Greek root for the term translated love is agape. The root for the terms translated to know and knowledge is gnosis.  In other words, we’re not talking about a passing fancy or book knowledge. Even the words filled and fullness hold nothing back. Part of me wants to chirp, “Yep! See, it says to know the love, not feel the love,” but the real point of the language is that we know by experience.

Last night, I watched part of a video in which yet another person decided he had to slam people who think they have it bad, but don’t have it as bad as he does. I’ll grant, there are people out there, including me, who complain even though we don’t have it nearly as bad as the next person. But his tale of woe reminded me of my father and the care that I gave him for as long as it was needed. I can tell you that he didn’t feel very loved. I didn’t give him his way often enough, and he was convinced that I was trying to poison him. Equally, I can’t tell you that I felt loving toward him, or that I ever really felt much by way of love from him.

I’m not telling you this because he didn’t love me, or I didn’t love him. We took care of each other, and sometimes, that was hard for both of us. Now he’s gone, so I’m free of having to take care of him, but I’m also without his care for me. The guy who was complaining about having it worse than the guy who had complained has Cerebral Palsy and other people have to do a lot of things for him, and clearly, they do so. It may be that the person whose petty whining about his day had no one to listen to him, no one to help him, and no one who cared.

The rabbit trail of the last paragraph isn’t really quite a rabbit trail. It all comes back to two things, the first of which is definitions. If we define love differently than God does, He could love us better than anyone ever has (and He does!) but we would be tempted to look at our watches and ask when He plans to start. The other thing that influences our understanding of love is similar. It’s the law of diminishing returns. When you go to a horror movie or ride a roller-coaster, you get a thrill. Unless the next movie or roller-coaster is more, it doesn’t provide as big a thrill. When we get used to someone’s love, we can become bored with it. It’s just more of the same. We want something more, bigger, better.

What this means is that the guy with Cerebral Palsy may benefit from the loving actions of ten or fifteen people in a week, while the guy who doesn’t have it so bad might make it through the week on his own. But the guy who gets all the love may not see it as love. It’s just what’s required to get him through the week, while the guy who gets through the week on his own would feel very loved if someone made dinner for him.

So Paul’s prayer that we would know how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge is a good prayer, because we’re likely to lose sight of it, and therefore no longer know it if we aren’t careful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t