Skip to main content

Quenching The Spirit

                 Do not quench the Spirit. (I Thessalonians 5:19)

 

Quench: satisfy one’s thirst, extinguish a fire, rapidly cool.

 

Since we’re talking about the Spirit, and the Spirit is often associated with fire, the pertinent part of the definition of quench is probably the one in the middle. My study Bible says that this has to do with stifling the Spirit’s ministry in an individual or a church. Pastor Sam Storms suggests that we quench the Spirit when we:

Rely decisively on any resource other than the Holy Spirit for anything we do in life and ministry.

Diminish his personality and speak of him as if he were only an abstract power or source of divine energy.

Suppress or legislate against his work of imparting spiritual gifts and ministering to the church through them.

Create an inviolable and sanctimonious structure in our corporate gatherings and worship services, and in our small groups, that does not permit spontaneity or the special leading of the Spirit.

Despise prophetic utterances (1 Thessalonians 5:20).

Diminish his activity that alerts and awakens us to the glorious and majestic truth that we are truly the children of God (Romans 8:15–16; Galatians 4:4–7).

Suppress, or legislate against, or instill fear in the hearts of people regarding the legitimate experience of heartfelt emotions and affections in worship.[1]

Each one of those might be explored usefully, and Pastor Storms discusses them further, but today, most of them are in too formal a language to connect to my life. Given where I am this morning, the way these words make sense to me is to say that we are not to do things that limit, reduce, or attempt to control the Spirit. Given my love of definitions, I can easily see myself doing this. After all, the New Testament provides a list of gifts of the Spirit, all of which seem to me to involve the function of the Church. That’s fine, but is that absolutely the extent of the gifts of the Spirit?

And how might we quench the Spirit with regard to those gifts? The first thing that comes to mind is to say that we have no gifts. Another is to say that the gift given to me isn’t important or valuable.

A third is to say that the direction, the dream, the idea that you have can’t be from God because it’s not “spiritual.” As I think about this today, I find myself remembering. When I was in college, I wanted to be a writer. By the time I graduated, I had figured out that if my name wasn’t Isaac Asimov or (name that best-selling author) no one would ever publish my work. I also remember doing research on herbs. Decades later, I’m publishing my own books and I’m dreaming of turning my home into a garden. I don’t know if what I’m thinking is the Spirit’s direction for me, and I have a lot of learning to do if it is, but how much further would I be in that learning if I hadn’t spent forty years saying “No.”  At the same time, the forty years have increased my education, my experience, and my wisdom. It was not wasted.

When it comes down to it, I’m not sure about most of this, but that may be one of the ways in which we quench the Spirit, when we walk away from our ideas because they don’t fit our preconceptions about the Spirit’s leading. There are books about listening to what the Spirit is saying, and I need to go back and read some, but the key today is that while others may be too quick to attribute “leadings” and “leanings” to God, I may be too slow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Road

          Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. (Psalm 139:7-12)                  For years before GPSes existed, I told people I wanted something in my car that would tell me, “Turn left in half a mile…turn left in a quarter mile…turn left in 500 feet… turn left in 100 feet…turn left now …You missed the turn, Dummy!” The problem isn’t necessarily that I get lost so much as I’m afraid I’ll get lost. I don’t want to have to spend my whole trip stressing over the next turn. I have the same problem with my spiritual journey.   

Died as a Ransom

                 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)                  This is something I’d really rather not think about but here it is and it’s important. I was reading in Bold Love about seeking revenge.  The author wrote of seeking justice when a supposed Christian does something sinful, harmful, and/or horrific, like sexually abusing a daughter.  And the thought that came to mind was of God asking if Jesus’ death was sufficient payment to me for the sin committed against me.                I have no specific longing for revenge, vengeance, or justice. I’m sure there are some lurking somewhere in my heart, but this wasn’t a response to one. It was more a question of principle. Jesus’ death was sufficient payment for to God for our sins.  That’s the standard Sunday Schoo

Out of the Depths

  Out of the depths I have cried to You, Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive to the sound of my pleadings.   If You, Lord, were to keep account of guilty deeds, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, so that You may be revered. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and I wait for His word. My soul waits in hope for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning. Israel, wait for the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all his guilty deeds . (Psalm 130)             I like Mr. Peterson’s interpretation of the first line. “The bottom has fallen out of my life!” Of course, the problem for some of us is the fact that we’re drama queens, and/or we’re weak. Any time anything happens that disturbs our sense of mastery and control, the bottom has fallen out of our lives. If the past couple of days have taught me anything, they’ve t